Tuesday 3 August 2010

FLIP DE BEER THE CABINET MAKER



There is a definate talent in my family genealogy for woodwork since the first De Beer, Mathys, landed in the Cape of Good Hope. Mathys was also a woodworker in the Dutch navy. The Dutch of those days were globaly famous for their woodcraft in the ship building industry. I am also a woodwork teacher as well as my brother Ben de Beer. My cousin, Johan de Beer, also became a woodwork teacher and we all share the same admiration for our ancestors who were carpenters and cabinet makers such as uncle Flip and his brother Willem (see previous Blog on Uncle Willem and Aunt Audrey). Uncle Flip was especially blessed with most extra ordinary talents. He started off with his woodwork career while he was still at school in Petrusburg. I still have a little stinkwood chair that he made for one of his projects. A photo will be soon published on another Blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment

E-mails