Wednesday 9 March 2011

PAUL LOOTS OF CAPE ST FRANCES, SOUTH AFRICA



On the right of the photograph stands Paul Loots with his family in Germany before boarding a boat on the Rein river. Way back in 1966, I worked for a tire company in Bloemfontein. Paul was a woodwork teacher and came in for a new set of tires where we met for the first time. I admired the wooden dashboard of his Mini Minor and took a keen interest in his career as woodwork teacher at the Dr Viljoen School. He asked me whether I have a matric certificate and said that I could also get a bursary from the Orange Free State Department of Education to study for a woodwork teacher. I gave it a good thought and enrolled the next year in 1967. Subsequently, he mentored me all the way because of my more matured age than my fellow students at the Bloemfontein Teacher's Training College. He gave me some books and notes as well and encouraged me when he detected some hesitant trends in the making. Later in his career, Paul Loots qualified himself in pshycology. We studied both evening lecturers at the University of the Orange Free State when I commenced with my career in Political Science and International Relations. Paul and his wife, has a son and a daughter. Their son, Samuel, is a Boeing pilot who planned the boat trip in Germany.

No comments:

Post a Comment

E-mails